Re: OS Hardening

On 00/12/13 03:35 -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> Do a stock installation and see if a new user wouldn't need a "hardening
> script".  At a guess, telnet, ftp, portmapper, nfsd, and the like are probably
> running.  I can see where a "hardening script" could come into play here,

I have just done several "stock" installs, and there is no telnet or
ftp, and portmapper/nfsd only if you ask for it.

Choosing the "laptop" task also gets you an nntp server, and wwwofled
(which I don't know much about), which may not be so desirable. But on
the whole, a stock install seems reasonably "hardened" already.

--
Michael Rowe <mrowe@mojain.com>

AIM - RoweMichaelA                    Prof - ACM, IEEE, Computer Soc.
Web - http://www.mojain.com/          Vice - Barley malt, brewed or
Key - http://mojain.com/keys/mrowe.asc       distilled (hold the ice)