Re: Intl. kernel patch and util-linux

Hi Steve!

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Steve wrote:

>     # losetup -e serpent /dev/loop0 cryptfile
>     Unsupported encryption type serpent
>
> My feeling is that the versions of the binaries for util-linux are not
> patched to handle crypto.  However, I installed from the non-US disks
> (ala mirror.aarnet.edu.au), and the man pages discuss the crypto
> options.  dpkg reports :
>
>     # dpkg -l | grep util-linux
>     ii  util-linux     2.10f-5.1      Miscellaneous system utilities.
>
> Is there another version of util-linux I need to install?

FWIW, I have a blowfish encrypted loopback fs and it works fine with
my kernel and utils:

weasel@defiant:~$ dpkg -S losetup
mount: /sbin/losetup
mount: /usr/man/man8/losetup.8.gz
weasel@defiant:~$ dpkg -s mount
Package: mount
Essential: yes
 This package provides the mount(8), umount(8), swapon(8),
 swapoff(8), and losetup(8) commands.

root@defiant:~# losetup /dev/loop0
/dev/loop0: [0342]:40 (/var/randspool) offset 0, blowfish encryption

I don't use the debian kernel however, so your problem may be with the
kernel (or the cipher).

					yours,
					peter

--