Re: Checksums on ftp

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 11:44:23PM -0700, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> Not the capability _bounding_ set. Check the 'lcap' package. The only time
> the capabilities are restored is when the machine is rebooted, and only a
> process which originated as a kernel thread (i.e., init, kswapd, etc) can
> restore capabilities without a reboot. None of those programs will do
> this, so make /sbin/init immutable (which it should be anyway), and your
> system is pretty much air-tight, as far as remote attacks go.

Thanks, I just downloaded the source and will start messing with it.
I've found various other cap utils around the 'net in scattered places
too.

Regarding which processes can change caps: couldn't one set up an
additional runlevel that would contain a few scripts to set
capabilities, then run "telinit 8" (for example)?  The init process
would be executing those scripts and could therefore alter the
capabilities, no?

Just trying to get a better handle on this.  :)