Re: Checksums on ftp

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 05:35:42PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> why zap an immutable log file?  it won't contain any new entries since
> syslogd cannot write to it either :P  you probably mean the append
> only bit.  which is indeed useful on logs but breaks log rotation
> which is rather annoying.

Yup I did mean append-only.  You could always mix a chattr -a, chattr +a
into your log rotation scripts to work around that.

> someone else mentioned Linux Privileges (misnomer capabilities) which
> i think can be used to get the BSD style immutable bit -- root can set
> but not remove.  but still that is damned inconvenient if you want to
> upgrade something legitimately and have to reboot to do it.  (almost
> like NT, gah)

Yep.  Actually I'm not completely familiar with this yet, I tried to set
it up on my box but didn't encounter much success because I think I
didn't correctly compile the caps into the kernel.  There's supposedly
one or two edits you have to make and the doc I saw wasn't very clear.

But from what I've seen so far, I do believe you would be able to
somehow add capabilities to a running process (as well as remove them).

Just don't ask me how yet.  :)