Re: Working as a team, let's take care of all problems

Hello Raphael and team,

On 23.08.2018 23:58, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I know that most teams in Debian are understaffed but I have the feeling
> that we are not doing very well with our packages. There are a few
> maintainers who are taking good care of their own packages but we are not
> enough persons caring about the long tail of packages that have no
> dedicated active maintainer.
>
> Yet we are getting better tools to track all our packages, notably
> with the new tracker.debian.org team overview:
> https://tracker.debian.org/teams/pkg-security
>
> We also have an IRC channel that will soon receive notifications of bugs
> and uploads (it already has notifications of commits). Join
> #debian-pkg-security on OFTC.
>
> So please step in. Here are a few thing to start with:
>
> 1/ Click on the "join" button on https://tracker.debian.org/teams/pkg-security/
> as too few team members are currently receiving bug mails and other
> autoremoval notifications, etc.
>
> 2/ Decide to upload one or two packages every day from those that have
> "action needed" in their VCS column in this table:
> https://tracker.debian.org/teams/pkg-security/+table/general

I've selected libpff package, its repository [1] is currently in a bad
shape.

I believe I can clean most lintian warnings, close the bugs, import next
release. I started working in a local fork [2].

One problem is apt-cache rdepends shows that only forensics-all depends
on libpff packages. May be apt-cache skipped some contrib packages.
Should we continue to support it? Bug 764527 [4] says that some people
need it.

What do you think?

If we are not dropping the package, the other problem is that the last
package version [3] was not imported into git, but Raphael already made
two new commits.

I suggest 'rebasing' two Raphael commits over Imported package, as I've
done in a fork [2]. To do this we need to overwrite last to commits in
the main repository.

The alternative way of 'fixing history' looks worse for me: reverting
Raphael commits, then Importing the package and applying reverted
commits again.

Raphael, can you please grant me access rights to the libpff repository
to work on it?

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-security-team/libpff
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/alexk-guest/libpff
[3] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libpff