Re: MRs on salsa and letting janitor automate things

Hi Jelmer,

Am Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 04:04:13PM +0000 schrieb Jelmer Vernooij:
> One of the things you don't get when running these scripts manually rather than
> waiting or the janitor is that it verifies the package still builds, passes
> autotests and generates binary diffs before proposing/pushing changes.

Great.  But I'm doing these build as well when dealing with the package.
;-)

> Although
> you do get a lot of those benefits either way, since most of lintian-brush's
> bug fixes are driven by the janitor running it across the entire archive.
>
> Actually, I'm curious what you prefer about routine-update vs the janitor
> pushing/creating PRs? Is it just that you control the moment you work on a
> package vs having the changes pushed/proposed by an external agent?

I simply prefer triggering any changes myself.  The tools used by
Janitor are really cool and helpful - so thanks for the great work.  I
simply see no advantage if "someone else" does random commits to the
package I'm working on.

> > Routine-update is calling lintian-brush which is IMHO what Janitor is
> > doing.  Jelmer in CC in case I should run more scripts.
>
> The janitor currently has the following "campaigns" that are part of its
> default set:
>
>  * lintian-fixes (fixes various lintian-reported issues)
>  * apply-multiarch-hints (applies hints from the Multi-Arch hinter)
>  * deb-scrub-obsolete (remove no longer necessary dependencies, maintscripts,
> 		       migrates away from dependencies on transitional
>                        packages)
>  * orphan (update maintainer for orphaned packages to QA team)
>  * mia (drop uploaders who have been marked as MIA by the MIA team)

I'm happy about all these things done by lintian-brush.

> And several that are enabled for a select set of people only, not ready for
> mainstream (yet?):
>
>  * fresh-releases (merges new upstream releases, refreshes patches, bumping
>                    dependency versions, etc)
>  * uncommitted (import archive changes not in VCS, e.g. for NMUs)

Thanks a lot for your cool QA tools