Re: MRs on salsa and letting janitor automate things

(re-sending from my personal address, since I don't have debian.org set up correctly here)

On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 04:35:02PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Am Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 01:55:43PM +0100 schrieb PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel:
> > > As I tried to explain, routine-update does all what Janitor is doing
> > > (please let me know if not than I'd include the actual Janitor code)
> > > plus other things Janitor can't do.  I'm fine with whatever the team
> > > might prefer and I can cope with Janitor changes, but its not my
> > > preference.
> >
> > It seems to me that a script provided by janitor should be used by routine-update in order to avoid this problem.
>
> This *is* the case and perfectly intendend.

One of the things you don't get when running these scripts manually rather than
waiting or the janitor is that it verifies the package still builds, passes
autotests and generates binary diffs before proposing/pushing changes. Although
you do get a lot of those benefits either way, since most of lintian-brush's
bug fixes are driven by the janitor running it across the entire archive.

Actually, I'm curious what you prefer about routine-update vs the janitor
pushing/creating PRs? Is it just that you control the moment you work on a
package vs having the changes pushed/proposed by an external agent?

> > Is there a sort of generic command in janitor which run all the janitors scripts ?
>
> Routine-update is calling lintian-brush which is IMHO what Janitor is
> doing.  Jelmer in CC in case I should run more scripts.

The janitor currently has the following "campaigns" that are part of its
default set:

 * lintian-fixes (fixes various lintian-reported issues)
 * apply-multiarch-hints (applies hints from the Multi-Arch hinter)
 * deb-scrub-obsolete (remove no longer necessary dependencies, maintscripts,
		       migrates away from dependencies on transitional
                       packages)
 * orphan (update maintainer for orphaned packages to QA team)
 * mia (drop uploaders who have been marked as MIA by the MIA team)

And several that are enabled for a select set of people only, not ready for
mainstream (yet?):

 * fresh-releases (merges new upstream releases, refreshes patches, bumping
                   dependency versions, etc)
 * uncommitted (import archive changes not in VCS, e.g. for NMUs)

Cheers,

Jelmer