Re: adduser claims existing diretory in postinst when running piuparts for shiny-server

Hi Andreas e.a.,

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 09:43:50AM +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-05-20 at 09:37 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > the Debian Science team has packaged node-shiny-server[1].
> > It creates a system user in its postinst script.  I've added
> > some debug output to this script[2] since I wanted to debug
> > a piuparts issue which you can see here in salsa CI[3].
> >
> > This log shows two ways to verify that the home directory
> > of the user does not exist, but adduser fails with
> >
> >      Stopped: Couldn't create home directory `/home/shiny': File
> > exists.
> >
> > anyway.
> >
> > Any idea what's going on here and how to fix this?
>
> It seems wrong for a system user to use a directory below /home.

Yup, see also https://lintian.debian.org/tags/maintainer-script-lacks-home-in-adduser

In
https://wiki.debian.org/AccountHandlingInMaintainerScripts
there are some ideas; I believe there is not yet final consensus in Debian on
how to deal with adduser in maintainer scripts...

Anyway HTH, Bye,

Joost