adduser claims existing diretory in postinst when running piuparts for shiny-server

Hi,

the Debian Science team has packaged node-shiny-server[1].
It creates a system user in its postinst script.  I've added
some debug output to this script[2] since I wanted to debug
a piuparts issue which you can see here in salsa CI[3].

This log shows two ways to verify that the home directory
of the user does not exist, but adduser fails with

     Stopped: Couldn't create home directory `/home/shiny': File exists.

anyway.

Any idea what's going on here and how to fix this?

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/shiny-server
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/shiny-server
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/node-shiny-server/-/jobs/2785645#L5900