Re: Upload Requests

On 2022-06-18 17:20, Julien Lamy wrote:
Hi Drew,

On 2022-06-16 15:06, Julien Lamy wrote:
Hi Ileana,
I've uploaded xsimd. Thanks for your work!
-- Julien

Le 16/06/2022 à 14:43, Ileana Dumitrescu a écrit :
Hi,

I contributed and merged code into salsa for several science packages. Can someone please sponsor the uploads? Thank you!

xsimd (8.1.0-1)

Hi Julian, Ilean,  xsimd 8.1.0 seems to break xtensor 0.23.10, which is documented to use xsimd ^7.4.8.

I've tried building a newer version of xtensor (0.24.2, which should
be compatible with xsimd 8), but I get a build error, see related
issue on https://github.com/xtensor-stack/xsimd/issues/771.

In the worst case, I could maintain the two versions in two separate
packages (libxsimd7-dev and libxsimd8-dev). Let me know what would be
best.

Best to keep it simple I think, with just the one libxsimd-dev. It's just that the packages make an inter-dependent suite, so the upgrade needs to be coordinated, it can't be done independently. Upgrading xsimd from 7 to 8 is the header-only equivalent of a library transition, and we've got a transition procedure to manage them (https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions, https://release.debian.org/transitions/index.html). We've got the experimental archive to help manage complex version upgrades.

We couldn't push the transition earlier because dolfinx wasn't ready for xtensor 0.24. That's now clear with dolfinx 0.4 (which is what I'm trying to upload).

So the best workaround now is to proceed with the xtensor/xsimd/xtensor-blas transition. But keep in mind it's a transition that we need to coordinate. We'll likely have the same problem in the future with xsimd 9.

xtensor 0.24 needs to be able to build of course. Hopefully upstream can help find the patch needed for #771 soon.

Drew

dolfinx now fails to build, via basix which uses xtensor (and activates xsimd):

-- Adding /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/basix to Basix/xtensor/xtl search hints CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.23/Modules/CMakeFindDependencyMacro.cmake:47 (find_package):   Could not find a configuration file for package "xsimd" that is compatible
   with requested version "7.4.4".

   The following configuration files were considered but not accepted:

    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/xsimd/xsimdConfig.cmake, version: 8.1.0

Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/xtensor/xtensorConfig.cmake:63 (find_dependency)   /usr/share/cmake-3.23/Modules/CMakeFindDependencyMacro.cmake:47 (find_package)   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/basix/BasixConfig.cmake:43 (find_dependency)
   CMakeLists.txt:161 (find_package)

The error message comes from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/xtensor/xtensorConfig.cmake, which (for xtensor 0.23.10) uses
   find_dependency(xsimd 7.4.4)
when XTENSOR_USE_XSIMD is set

Drew