Upgrading pandas

Hi,

pandas is lagging behind upstream by several versions.  I guess we
should try to get in sync with upstream a bit more.  Thus I upgraded Git
and tried to adapt the patches (not sure whether I succeeded completely
- checking would be really welcome).

The package does not build yet since the documentation needs sphinx_panels.
Simply patching it out leads to

   nbsphinx.NotebookError: TypeError in user_guide/style.ipynb:
   'coroutine' object is not subscriptable

and I stopped here.  I wonder what you think here whether it makes sense
to stop providing the docs for this package.  Packaging itself is complex
enough and spending extra amounts of work for something users can easily
lookup online could be at least discussed.  If the answer is:  Yes, lets
keep the docs we should start packaging sphinx-panels first.