Re: Debian Math Team

Hi Ole,

On 2021-11-03 13:52, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Andrius Merkys <merkys@debian.org> writes:
>> problem: How would we define what is math software? What would be done
>> with interdisciplinary software? For example, I maintain two packages,
>> spglib and voronota, which deal with crystallography (chemistry?), but
>> employ heavy math. Should I put them in debichem or debian-math? I
>> believe the classification problem cannot be solved in general way,
>> leading to looking for more "pragmatic" classification.
>
> I sometimes have this problem for Debian Astro packages, and then I
> decide on whether the package is (intended to be) useful outside of
> astronomy. Sometimes this is difficult; f.e. I just uploaded
> "mpl-animators" which does animations with matplotlib, but this depends
> on astropy for many functions which hints me that the authors focus on
> astronomy (and not general) usage.

This might be a candidate for objective criterion, yes.

>>> By this logic, we could push entire debian-med python packages into
>>> python-team, java packages into java-team and so on...
>
> I really think this is a bit problematic; IMO the problem here is mainly
> that we imply disjunct teams.
>
> Why can't a Python math package be maintained by both the Python and the
> math team?
>
> Maintainer: Debian Math Team <...>
> Uploaders: Debian Python Team <...>, me <olebole...>
>
> This would set a primary team (and the place in the Salsa directory
> structure), but also allow the Python team to exercise required changes
> as team upload.
>
> Probably policies and scripts should be adjusted to make use of
> this. And "somehow" the Salsa permissions should match this.

This suggestion gives some feed for thought. I think it should be
proposed on debian-devel first to see if it is possible to adjust
policies, scripts and salsa permissions accordingly.

I am replying to this message instead of yours from Fri, 05 Nov 2021
14:14:35 +0100 just to cite your whole proposal.

Best,
Andrius