Re: Quick Poll: Debian to better support hardware acceleration?

Am 21.05.21 um 15:55 schrieb Thomas Schiex:
> I'm a computer scientist working in AI and structural biology. I'm
> sorry to say that CUDA has slowly invaded a lot of our scientific
> pipelines, for Deep learning, convex optimization and molecular
> simulations.
>
> I just could not vote for option 2 even if option 1 is tolerable (I'm
> using it).
>
> Le 21/05/2021 à 15:35, Julien Puydt a écrit :
>> Le vendredi 21 mai 2021 à 04:40 +0000, M. Zhou a écrit :
>>> Q: How far should Debian go along the way for supporting hardware
>>> acceleration solutions like CUDA?
>>>
>>> Choice 1: this game belongs to the big companies. we should offload
>>> such burden to third-party providers such as Anaconda.
Once you decide to go the conda/brew/guix route, you are likely to stick
to it also for your applications. Debian is then left out.
>>> Choice 2: we may try to provide what the users need.
Please. Otherwise we fail them.
>>> Choice 3: <write down yours>
>> I'm not a user of anything like it (as far as I know...), but it's
>> Debian's mission to make useful software available : choice 2.

Free CUDA drivers will take a bit longer to surface. We should have the
non-free now and the free shall be supported - happily so with Debian
Money if that changes anything. But our users should not need to wait.
ROCm is late in the game, which is unfortunate.

Would be great to have also more from Xilinx and Altera/Intel in our
distribution to detect and program their FPGA.

Thanks!

Steffen