ITP: iminuit -- Robust Python minimisation library based around MINUIT2

Sorry. I forgot to CC the science list while filing the ITP.

You can follow progress on this Bug here: 968075: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=968075.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: ITP: iminuit -- Robust Python minimisation library based around MINUIT2
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2020 07:40:46 +0200
From: Jeremy Sanders <jeremy@jeremysanders.net>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <submit@bugs.debian.org>

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Jeremy Sanders <jeremy@jeremysanders.net>

* Package name    : iminuit
  Version         : 1.4.2
  Upstream Author : Piti Ongmongkolkul
* URL             : https://github.com/scikit-hep/iminuit
* License         : MIT
  Programming Lang: C++, Python
  Description     : Robust Python minimisation library based around MINUIT2

iminuit is a Jupyter-friendly Python frontend to the MINUIT2 C++ library.
It can be used as a general robust function minimisation method, but is
most commonly used for likelihood fits of models to data, and to get model
parameter error estimates from likelihood profile analysis.

Further comments
 - Optional dependency for veusz debian package
 - One of the most robust and easy to use numerical minimisation packages
   for Python
 - Based around MINUIT2, which is a rewrite of the very widely used and
   well-tested MINUIT minimisation package, developed since the 1970s
 - Other packages which provide similar minimisers are scipy. A comparison
   of its performance is here:
   https://iminuit.readthedocs.io/en/stable/benchmark.html
 - Would prefer to maintain it within the Debian Science Team
 - I would need a sponsor to get it included