Re: iminuit

On 2020-08-08 01:32, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
Hi -

I was looking for iminuit in Debian and found it wasn't packaged. It's
a rather useful Python fitting library. iminuit bundles the minuit
library from libroot. As far as I can see, root was removed from
Debian as it was too difficult and large to maintain.

Would packaging iminuit without reintroducing root be allowed?

Certainly allowed. The only thing that's not allowed is illegal software, i.e. breaking copyright or other such legal barriers. And nonfree packages don't get full support (but can still be packaged if their licence permits redistribution)

After that, the only remaining barrier is the time and effort to get it working properly. If you're willing to put time in then it can be done.

Drew