Re: numerical comparisons or not? (platform compatibility during testing)

Thanks Aaron,

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:45 PM Aaron M. Ucko <ucko@debian.org> wrote:

> Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > It could be the way.. but since this would possibly require some
> > tuning, is there a way to test on different buildd platforms before
> > the package is actually deployed?
>
> You can request temporary guest access to hosts of various
> architectures, per https://dsa.debian.org/doc/guest-account/.  However,
> that's somewhat more involved than a sponsored upload.
>
> An intermediate option would be to perform a sponsored upload to
> experimental rigged to accept arbitrary test results and dump them for
> reference, either to the build log or to a file in some existing binary
> package (which you could then arrange to download).

Okay, if I go this way I would request more help/information, thanks.

> I suppose you could also test in qemu or the like, either fully or by
> way of cross-building so that the compiler would at least get to run
> natively.

It's a good idea, I should try to see if the errors are reproducible
in qemu before going any further, if so, then that's my answer.
The build takes quite a bit of RAM unfortunately, a bit heavy for a
virtual machine but I think it's probably the best way, at least
initially.

> Thanks for your interest in portability and in efficient use of Debian
> resources!

Yes of course, I prefer to solve things without bothering people
whenever possible but sometimes it is good to ask :)

cheers,
Steve