Re: Rebuild packages using mpich instead of openmpi

On 27/3/2019 9:23 PM, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

Look at the mpi-default-dev package. Most packages using MPI should depend on it (only depending on eg libopenmpi-dev if its specifically openmpi dependent).

Edit /usr/share/mpi-default-dev/debian_defaults locally, change openmpi -> mpich. Then

# apt install libmpich-dev mpich

# apt remove libopenmpi-dev openmpi-bin

This also removes mpi-default-dev, which is a "build-depends" of building (most) packages with MPI. I'm on buster, if that matters.

I would like to re-build the packages the debian way (sort of a local NMU), ie, apt source <package>; apt build-dep <package>; ...; debuild -us -uc.

Oops; correct.  No need to do the "apt remove".

Do the above, without the apt remove, _before_ doing the rebuild a la NMU.

I found out that OpenMPI *can* be removed if I install the locally rebuilt mpi-default-dev and mpi-default-bin after changing /usr/share/mpi-default-dev/debian_defaults. They now depend on mpich instead.

But this is just a hack, when mpi-default-dev is updated, it will revert back to OpenMPI. Is there anyway to avoid that?

Regards,
-- st