Re: Updates about BLAS64

Le jeudi 03 janvier 2019 à 14:37 +0000, Mo Zhou a écrit :

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 03:13:00PM +0100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > I'd say it's more common for non-coinstallable packages to be installed in
> > subdirs (e.g. using DESTDIR facilities during configuration and build), and
>
> Theoretically yes, but in fact I don't want to make different variants
> co-installable, particularly for BLIS. That's because the co-installbility
> would result in 2 levels of alternatives system and make things complicated:
>
> something asks for libblas.so.3
>   -> (looking for libblas.so.3 provider)
>     -> we found libblis.so.X
>       -> (looking for libblis.so.X provider)
>         -> we found the real libblis in some subdir.
>
> And I don't know if there is any user who wants to confuse themself
> by installing all the variants and got no idea which on earth is
> really used when they encountered some threading trouble.
>
> Such threadding trouble happend to OpenBLAS in history.
> And mixing the usage of different threading library leads to nightmare.
>
> @Sébastien: What's your opinion at this point? I mean, what if we
> are talking about the 6 variants of OpenBLAS?

For sure I don't want 2 levels of alternatives, this would be too
confusing for the user.

However my first inclination would be to make all the variants co-
installable, and have them all registered through the alternatives
system.

We provided this alternative system precisely to avoid people the
hassle of installing/purging packages when switching between BLAS
implementations. So, by the same logic, we should provide the same
facility for switching between variants of a given implementation. Of
course there would be a default variant (in the case of OpenBLAS, the
pthread one) that would have the highest priority (and that would also
probably be the first alternative in the metapackage dependency).

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer