Re: Updates about BLAS64

On 2019-01-03 15:37, Mo Zhou wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 03:13:00PM +0100, Drew Parsons wrote:
I'd say it's more common for non-coinstallable packages to be installed in subdirs (e.g. using DESTDIR facilities during configuration and build), and

Theoretically yes, but in fact I don't want to make different variants
co-installable, particularly for BLIS. That's because the co-installbility would result in 2 levels of alternatives system and make things complicated:

something asks for libblas.so.3
  -> (looking for libblas.so.3 provider)
    -> we found libblis.so.X
      -> (looking for libblis.so.X provider)
        -> we found the real libblis in some subdir.

And I don't know if there is any user who wants to confuse themself
by installing all the variants and got no idea which on earth is
really used when they encountered some threading trouble.

Such threadding trouble happend to OpenBLAS in history.
And mixing the usage of different threading library leads to nightmare.

That's a reasonable argument for keep the packaging simpler (non-coinstallable)

Drew