Re: Debian science robotics subgroup

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 03:29:38PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > I'm personally not scared by the flat name space.  I do not think that
> > "hiding" metainformation in a subgroup / subdir is not really helpful in
> > the end.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't understand you here. Maybe too much "not" and a problem of
> English from my part. What are you saying, creating a subgroup/subdir is helpful
> yes or not?

Please do not hide metainformation in some directory structure.  Flat
hierarchies of packages have advantages.

> The only thing that might be worth considering, is whether you
> > think an own Debian Robotics Blend would fly (in terms of contributors
> > and number of packages).  In this case a separate packaging team might
> > make sense.
>
> Well, Debian Science Team has 886 projects (source packages?). It's a big
> umbrella for all scientific packages. Maybe some subcategories (subgroups or
> whatever) would attract the people for a more specific project than a generic
> one.

I do not think that subcategories would attract more people.  What
becomes more attractive is a specific Blend (in my very biased opinion).
The experience from Debian Astro is very good as far as I know.

> The problem them would be the borders, where a package/project goes to one
> place or other.

That's one problem you can avoid by a flat structure. :-P