trouble with mesa3d in stretch/buster

Hi,
I would like to experience with Mesa llvmpipe, softpipe and openswr software renderer.
Changing to a specific renderer is done by setting the GALLIUM_DRIVER environment variable:

GALLIUM_DRIVER="llvmpipe" glxgearx -info

I've tried to do this on stretch/buster but it doesn't seem to work.

Are the mesa3d lib in Debian supporting these features?
Does anybody has already tried this?

Best

PS: I have also troubles when upgrade mesa with stretch-backports...
Have someone succeded in upgrading mesa from backports?

Christophe TROPHIME
Research Engineer

    CNRS - LNCMI
25, rue des Martyrs