Re: Sponsoring of python-ulmo

Hi Kurt,

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 05:16:06PM -0500, Kurt Kremitzki wrote:
> On 08/07/2018 03:58 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi Kurt,
> >
> > thanks for preparing python-ulmo.  I recived the request for sponsering
> > via the SoB wiki[1].  To make sure you will fully understand the meaning
> > of adding a package to a task I'd like to the latest commit[2] which
> > really generates the URL you tried to point to in the line of the SoB
> > table.  The sense of the SoB page is that new maintainers will learn
> > more about Blends and understand the concept.  So you should make sure
> > that the package is really added to the task (either by pinging the
> > mailinglist in advance to make somebody adding it or by creating a pull
> > request) before the web sentinel entry is created.  You should also
> > understand that since it seems to be a development tool (no user
> > application) it rather should go to meteorology-dev metapackage (please
> > confirm that this is true).
> >
> > I'll upload the package soon, despite not all SoB preconditions are
> > fulfilled - please make sure that this will be the case next time.
> >
> > Kind regards and thanks for preparing this package
> >
> >     Andreas.
> >

> > [1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends/SoB
> > [2] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/science/commit/1d101ab19929d1f549c4dadaa7975d56e92a73e2
>
> Yes, the repo at [2] was the missing link for me as I wasn't sure what
> else needed to be done there. I was unsure also as to whether it should
> go in -dev or not as there are several other Python libraries in just
> meteorology, but by your description I'd say it should indeed be in -dev.

IMHO several of the tasks in Debian Science are in big need of more
love.  If you ask me its a shame that maintainers keep on thinking
single package focused and do not care much about the whole environment
for users that consists of a fine selection of packages that is useful
in a specific work field.  The whole Blends effort is about package sets
to connect upstream developers, Debian maintainers and users in certain
work fields.  Despite I'm talking since 15 years on Debian conferences
about this (last time was last week[1]) that we should focus more on
package sets, this is not working out very well.

So please assume that there is some work to do on the meteorilogy task
and you are kindly invited to bring in your knowledge in this field to
do this.  I'd happily add you to the Blends team to grant you direct
commit permissions.

> It looks like there are a few other problems with the package (I forgot
> to update the autopkgtest to use ulmo instead of fluids, the Python
> package I started with to package ulmo) and some d/copyright issues, so
> I'll have to prepare some amendments as well.

I've just uploaded the new version.  Thanks for the preparation

    Andreas.

[1] https://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20180730_debconf_tools_inside_blends/index_en.html