Re: Project permissions on salsa

Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 05:56:38PM -0700, Dima Kogan wrote:
>> Hi. Yes, that's the document I'm reading, and it does say to use the web
>> interface. I think it'll be more helpful if it said something like
>>
>>   Instead of calling the "setup-repository" script, which was the
>>   previous method of creating a new repo, please use the Salsa
>>   interface.
>>
>> That makes the state of things crystal clear to those who have used the
>> script previously.
>
> 1) people to follow d-d-a@, which mentioned alioth deprecation several
>    times, which ought to have triggered some questions in your mind, at
>    the very least

Questions were absolutely triggered in my mind. And such questions would
have been definitively answered if either

1. The script barfed at me (which it now does)

2. The policy was searchable for "setup-repository" to indicate that it
   was deprecated in favor of the web interface

Instead the old method was available and seemed to work with no
complaint, except for the permission issue that I only noticed months
later.

I mean you're right. There WAS abundant notice and for the most part the
available documentation IS sufficient. But users (like me!) are good at
not listening and then messing things up; and making it difficult for
them to mess up benefits everybody.

Currently the vnlog repo is still set to private. What is the best way
to make it public?

Thanks, and sorry for the mess.

dima