Re: request for reviews/sponsorship

On 02/05/2018 02:13 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> since you did not got any answer for your mail that definitely deserves
> it, I'll step in here.
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:28:39PM -0700, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
>> Hello Debian Scientists, I'm an aspiring maintainer looking for feedback on
>> a package I've made.  I hope that debian-science is a reasonable place to
>> ask for this favor (I'm also asking on debian-mentors).
>>
>> I'm interested in personal fabrication technologies, and to that end I've
>> packaged dxf2gcode, a CAM program that takes 2d drawings of parts and
>> produces g-code for running on CNC mills and lathes.  (This software is a
>> bit like a slicer for 3d printing, but targets subtractive fabrication
>> techniques instead of additive.)
>>
>> Here is my ITP:  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=888298
>>
>> Here is my package on mentors.d.n:
>> https://mentors.debian.net/package/dxf2gcode
>>
>> And here is my RFS (which I should have used the mentors.d.n RFS template
>> for, but didn't): https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=888526
>
> I confirm that you have choosen the correct procedure to ask for
> sponsoring by using mentors.d.n and ask on a potentially interested
> mailing list.

Oh good!

> I have some additional constraints which I have basically set to safe
> myself from taking up to many sponsorships.  One constraint is that I
> only sponsor from some team Git repository (for instance from Debian
> Science[1]).  Another constraint is that the package needs to fit into
> some Blend.  That's why I have set a "Sponsering of Blends" Wiki page[2]
> where you get more detailed information about Blends and the "rules" of
> SoB.  So you somehow need to find a task your package might fit into
> be it either in the Debian Science Blend[3] or what might also fit the
> 3dprinter Blend[4].

Thanks for those pointers.

I think dxf2gcode would not be interesting to the 3dprinter blend since
the gocde it outputs is not useful for 3d printers.

It might fit better into the Debian Science blend.  dxf2gcode doesn't
have a scientific purpose, it is mundanely practical, but that doesn't
seem to be the deciding factor for inclusion in Debian Science.  For
example, I see packages in the Electronics task for designing PCBs and
programming FPGAs, in Engineering for making CAD drawings, etc.  I get
the feeling from this that Debian Science welcomes the other STEM
disciplines as well.

dxf2gcode is part of the toolchain for subtractive fabrication: CAD
programs like freecad and solvespace make models of parts, CAM programs
like dxf2gcode read those models and write g-code (instructions for CNC
machine tools), and "machine controllers" like LinuxCNC[1] read the
g-code and drive the motors on the machines themselves.

[1] http://linuxcnc.org/

I just requested membership in the Debian Science team on salsa.d.o, and
(if accepted) I'll move the git repo for the packaging of dxf2gcode there.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky