Re: Etiquette on debian-science (and other Debian lists)

Hi Christoph,

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 10:37:27AM +0100, Christoph Groth wrote:

> Meanwhile, may I ask a question about Debian mailing-list etiquette?
> The Debian Science wiki page [3] links to a pamphlet [4] that argues why
> Reply-To munging is not a good idea (I agree, of course).  The same
> pamphlet recommends using the function "reply-to-all" of a MUA to reply
> to a list.  Doing this sends mail to both the list and the author, and
> another pamphlet [5] argues in detail why this is preferable to mailing
> the list only.  I tend to agree and that's why I follow this practice on
> the lists that I run. (As [5] argues, this is especially important when
> replying to posts of non-subscribers who otherwise would not receive the
> answer to their question.)
>
> What should one do on Debian mailing lists?  On this list, I saw some
> people CCing the original author, some others not.  I once got rebuked
> [6] to stop CCing the author on a Debian list.  If CCing the author is
> frowned upon, how would one ask questions on lists to which one is not
> subscribed?  (Be using the mailto links on the list archives on the
> web?)

On Debian lists, you should not CC the author unless he/she explicitly asked
for it, see:

“When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon copy (CC)
to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be copied.”

I find it indeed annoying to be CC'd, because that tend to confuse my automatic
mail classification system, or I get the message twice.

So the right way to ask a question on a list you're not subscribed to is to ask
to being kept in CC, hoping that people will respect that (on the second or
third message in the thread, it tends to be forgotten though).

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer