Re: gcc7 transition and dh_fortran

On 05.07.2017 11:28, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We will be transitioning to gcc7 soon for Buster, and with it there is
> another Fortran transition. This is because the format for gfortrans mod
> files has changed again.

did it?  At least the fortran module version is the same upstream (14).

However the libgfortran soname was bumped from 3 to 4, so we will have a
transition / rebuild cycle anyway.

> We do not have a clean mechanism for tracking gfortran-dependent
> packages in Debian. A module dh_fortran_mod for doing so was written by
> Sebastian Villemont (see #714730) but this issue is no longer being
> pushed by him due to a change in personal direction.
>
> I propose to resurrect this module and add dependencies to all current
> gfortran-using packages so we can track a transition.
>
> Can anyone comment on current issues with this code, or this approach ?
>

> A second issue worth  tracking is the 'flang' compiler. This is a new
> Apache-licensed Fortran compiler, based on a front-end written by PGI
> and Nvidia, using the LLVM backend. While currently not in Debian, it
> may be so soon ..
>
> https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang
>
> Should compilers be set to check a subdirectory of /usr/include to look
> for .mod files suitable for their use?

I haven't looked into that, however if compiler patches would be required then
please discuss these with upstream first.

Matthias