gcc7 transition and dh_fortran

Hi,

We will be transitioning to gcc7 soon for Buster, and with it there is
another Fortran transition. This is because the format for gfortrans mod
files has changed again.

We do not have a clean mechanism for tracking gfortran-dependent
packages in Debian. A module dh_fortran_mod for doing so was written by
Sebastian Villemont (see #714730) but this issue is no longer being
pushed by him due to a change in personal direction.

I propose to resurrect this module and add dependencies to all current
gfortran-using packages so we can track a transition.

Can anyone comment on current issues with this code, or this approach ?

A second issue worth  tracking is the 'flang' compiler. This is a new
Apache-licensed Fortran compiler, based on a front-end written by PGI
and Nvidia, using the LLVM backend. While currently not in Debian, it
may be so soon ..

https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang

Should compilers be set to check a subdirectory of /usr/include to look
for .mod files suitable for their use?

best regards

Alastair McKinstry

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.