Re: vtk6 and vtk7

Alright, I've pushed it all to vtk7; check it out with
```
git clone https://anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/vtk7.git
```
I've also sanitized the vtk6 repo; as Gert pointed out, you'll probably need a fresh clone.

That sounds reasonable. I think it would also be okay to already upload
> what you did to experimental (after moving to the new git repo).

As far as I can tell, this is ready now. I'll work on upstream to get more system libs to run with vtk7 in future releases.

Cheers,
Nico

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:23 AM Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 09.05.2017, 07:25 +0000 schrieb Nico Schlömer:
> Btw I'm on a stable connection. If you let me know what to do
> exactly, I'll be happy to open up a fresh vtk7 repo.

I've now created an empty  vtk7 repository on git.debian.org using the

  git/debian/science/setup-repository

script, the path is

  git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/vtk7.git/

You can clone this repo, and add the VTK 7 source code normally and
copy over the vtk6/debian directory, add them to git, and push.

Rolling back vtk6 could be a bit more difficult. You can try to re-base
  to the last commit Anton made, and then force-push the result.
A different approach would be to checkout Anton's last  commit as a new
branch vtk6 and then make this branch master. [1]

In both cases this probably means that we have to do a fresh clone to
get our local copies into a sane state.

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30105210/git-overwrite-master-w
ith-branch

> > It failed to build from source when using the system-provided
> > packages (but I didn't save the error messages). Should I put that
> > in the changelog?
This should be okay for now. It would be even better to have a bug
report for each failure though :)

> After we have a first version of vtk7 in, we can work on
> readjusting it for the system packages perhaps.

That sounds reasonable. I think it would also be okay to already upload
what you did to experimental (after moving to the new git repo).

Best,
Gert