Re: Is theano worth saving?

On Wed, 2017-02-08 at 10:17 +0100, Daniel Stender wrote:
> On 08.02.2017 09:13, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> > I have patches for #848764 and #831540; I haven't yet found the cause of #831541, but as it only affects big-endian systems, partial removal is an option.
> >
> > However, one of these bugs is a point where upstream plan to make an incompatible change (though my fix doesn't), and upstream aren't sure whether having Theano in a long-release-cycle distribution such as Debian is a good idea:
> > https://github.com/Theano/Theano/issues/5494

On first read, it sounds to me that upstream is failing to understand
that having theano in the archive does not replace or substitute
traditional development workflow via pip if users want to.

Our packages are here to support future applications / frameworks,
which may require an appropriately packaged theano. Considering the
success of deep-learning these days, this prospect is quite likely.

> > (Note that their suggested alternative of using pip will involve manually installing libblas-dev, as pip only knows about Python dependencies.)
> >
> > The package is RFAd; I may well end up adopting it, but am not sure I want to commit to that just yet.  (I only discovered its existence at a BSP ~10 days ago, but it does look like a reasonable fit for me.)

I could help with its co-maintenance, if that can free your mind up
Rebecca.

Ghis