Re: Is theano worth saving?

On 08.02.2017 09:13, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> I have patches for #848764 and #831540; I haven't yet found the cause of #831541, but as it only affects big-endian systems, partial removal is an option.
>
> However, one of these bugs is a point where upstream plan to make an incompatible change (though my fix doesn't), and upstream aren't sure whether having Theano in a long-release-cycle distribution such as Debian is a good idea:
> https://github.com/Theano/Theano/issues/5494
>
> (Note that their suggested alternative of using pip will involve manually installing libblas-dev, as pip only knows about Python dependencies.)
>
> The package is RFAd; I may well end up adopting it, but am not sure I want to commit to that just yet.  (I only discovered its existence at a BSP ~10 days ago, but it does look like a reasonable fit for me.)

Hi Rebecca,

... great that you have patches for Theano bugs! If you want to adopt it, welcome!

I would say, please try to keep it in. If 9.0 comes out the meanwhile, that could be backported.

Conda (is that available as a package?) or pip (!) are no alternatives for just doing "apt-get installl python-theano"
on a clean base system, and have it ... and there's a stable user base in Debian (popcon 150).

Daniel

--
4096R/DF5182C8
Debian Developer (stender@debian.org)