Re: Please categorise your packages for the Debian Science metapackages: fenics/dolfin

Hi again,

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 01:40:52AM +0800, Drew Parsons wrote:

> What I mean is that there are a number of component packages which
> together make up FENiCS:
>     dolfin-bin
>     python-dolfin
>     python-ffc
>     python-ufl
>     python-dijitso
>     python-instant
>     python-mshr
>
>     It doesn't really make sense to list these packages as separate entries
>     in the tasks. python-dolfin ultimately is the end-user package, but we
>     have a metapackage, fenics, to keep track of the whole collection.
>
>     These packages (in particular python-dolfin) are ready to be used by an
>     end user, so the mathematics task is the right one.
>
>     So my recommendation is that the mathematics task should just list the
>     one package, fenics.
>
> Conceivably some of them could also be used by mathematics developers,
> e.g. the developers of Firedrake use FENiCS's UFL (python-ufl) [1]. So
> it's reasonable to also list the fenics package under mathematics-dev.

I admit I remain unsure what actually should be done.  It might make
sense to give users hints on the FENiCS components even if they are only
parts of a suite.  Its not an exclusion criterion for a package from a
metapackage that it is in the list of dependencies of another package
inside the same metapackage.  Could you please provide a patch for
mathematics and mathematics-dev tasks files to make sure it will be
exactly as you want it to be?

I'd like you something else to consider:  A user *application* should
not contain the programming language it was written in its package name.
I have not checked but dolphin-bin sounds way more like a user
application than python-dolphin.