petsc interface to other packages

Dear debian-science,

    I am writing some code based on the pestc libraries using a stable distribution but, if I create a PetscPartitioner of type PETSCPARTITIONERPARMETIS (I have libparmetis-dev and libparmetis4.0 installed) I get an error message at run-time asking me to "Please reconfigure with --download-parmetis." Similarly, when calling DMPlexCreateBoxMesh it asks to reconfigure with --download-triangle, despite the dev and binary package for libtriangle being installed on my machine.

It is expected, or do I have missing link options in my makefile?

If it is not expected to link correctly to parmetis/triangle out of the box, I guess that those options are not activated in the standard debian build and I am wondering what is the best way to proceed. For example, if I downloaded the source package and compiled it locally as described in /usr/share/doc/petsc3.7.5-doc/README.Debian.gz, would it find automatically the parmetis/triangle from the installed debian package?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

    Matteo