Re: Package for Apache SINGA - a deep learning library

On 01/11/17 15:37, Moaz Reyad wrote:
Hi All,

About two months ago, I submitted a RFS for SINGA:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=873459 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=873459>

But I did not find any sponsor until now.

SINGA is an Apache incubator project and we are working on graduating it from the incubator to become a top level project. Creating a Debian package will increase its usability and help gaining more users. This will eventually help in the project graduation.

Quick question, why would someone use Apache SINGA over Apache MXNet? Are there existing applications using SINGA, which may become Debian packages in a not too distant future?

It is also my first Debian package, so I have a little experience. But it is a good opportunity to learn, so I can help in packaging other software in future.

I see that there is a discussing about deep learning software (Theano/TensorFlow), would you also consider helping with the SINGA package?

Well, TF / Keras have a reasonable traction in the ML community, so it makes sense to package them. Also, Theano was recently retired and the question of whether to keep its packaging available is being discussed.

As far as the question of providing packages for Apache SINGA goes, I am left to be convinced that the software itself needs to be packaged for Debian. It is the first time I have heard of it tbh.

Ghis