Re: Keras (abstraction layer for Theano and TensorFlow) seeks for an adopter

On 29/10/17 15:46, Daniel Stender wrote:
On 10/29/2017 03:59 PM, Daniel Stender wrote:
Hi,

is there somebody interested in taking up the maintenance of Keras [1] within Debian Science?

An initial package is in experimental and appears to have some kind of an user base
(popcon counter is 19).

Please adopt [2] if you like, I'll also upload the package who closes this bug report.

Thanks,
Daniel Stender

[1] https://packages.qa.debian.org/k/keras.html

[2] https://bugs.debian.org/852133 (RFA: keras -- deep learning framework running on Theano or TensorFlow)

BTW, the same is true for Lasagne [1] being up for adoption [2], which would be great
in Debian Science, too.

Best,
DS

[1] https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/lasagne.html

[2] https://bugs.debian.org/852134 (RFA: lasagne -- deep learning Python library build on the top of Theano)

Considering the recent announcement that Theano's development will cease in the next year, I am wondering whether it is really worth spending efforts to maintain the Theano stack (libgpuarray, theano and lasagne)?

Would that time be better spent on the Tensorflow / Keras combo, which is arguably significantly more popular in research? I am afraid we are already spreading our packaging efforts thin on the machine learning ecosystem.

Ghis