Re: Upcoming new round of R package rebuilds [FWD: [Rd] R-devel object header changes that require reinstalling packages]

On 19 September 2017 at 11:07, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| Am Montag, 18. September 2017, 10:39:02 CEST schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
| > Common knowledge. I referenced it half-a-dozen times in the damned thread
| > about the binNMUs.
|
| This (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=868558) had
| escaped my attention, maybe others on this list had not seen it either?

I must have posted about a dozen times around it, and it is about as R
centric as it gets.  I have said everything I want to say about it, really
but briefly:

| The R 3.4.0 you uploaded to unstable broke packages from existing
| installations (unstable). If you now say that I reported a change, not a bug,

All it required was a set of _local_ package rebuilds. Which we could have
handled easily as per that report #868558.

But you escalated it, made it appear on the radar of the release team who do
what they do.

And the net effect is no current R in testing for a year.  Really not a good outcome.

And no, it wasn't an ABI change even if people repeat that ad nauseum.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org