Moving virtuoso-opensource to Debian Science team (Was: Reviving virtuoso package)

Hi,

just for the former virtuoso-opensource maintainers and the Debian
Science team:  I was seeking for a better team to revive
virtuoso-opensource package.  Since it is used in my institute for
scientific purpose I think it is not really wrong inside the
Debian Science team.  As far as I know currently Alioth does not
accept new projects so I'd like to profit from the open discussion
on a public list - may be others become interested.

Will Daniels intends to work on it.  Will, I have added you to the
Debian Science team so you should have access now.  (The easiest was on
your side would be to edit .git/config the [remote "origin"] paragraph.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 08:30:36PM +0100, Will Daniels wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 14/09/17 14:58, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I have recovered access to my account and
> requested to join collab-maint.
>
> Once that is approved,

I think the approval to collab-maint is not really needed any more.

> do I work on a separate branch or just push things to
> master?

Yes, please push to master.  I do not see any point in using a separate
branch.

> > BTW, I think the Debian Science team is a sensible team for virtuoso and
> > I plan to move the Git repository and more importantly our private
> > discussion since I consider public discussion way more productive.
> > Please be aware that from my next response on I intend to quote you in
> > a publicly archived list.
>
> Noted and not a problem. I think there will be a few things to discuss as
> there are some changes to the database format between 6 and 7 and I don't
> have any idea myself about who is using Virtuoso and for what to make
> decisions about the best way to handle the upgrade (i.e. upgrade
> automatically, convert to column wise storage, any need to run both versions
> side-by-side and so on).

I personally (== without any knowledge about Virtuoso - I have heard the
first time from this project when my colleague asked me to try packaging
the recent version) would say:  We definitely need an upgrade path but I
do not think parallel installation of two versions is an objective we
should gain for.

> IIRC there are some additional VAD packages that can be built from the
> upstream source that are not included in debian. I used to build them for my
> own PPA on Launchpad so it would be no trouble to add them, but I don't know
> if the typical use case for Virtuoso really involves using the OpenLink web
> applications?

Also my personal opinion:  I usually package as *official* packages what
I'm using personally.  In all cases these packages found other users.