Re: Removing clapack?

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 12:05:36AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I admit I agree with your arguing (except for the DFSG free-ness since I
> trust ftpmaster here).  I'm doing a top posting since I just want to
> give an in principle unrelated comment about my motivation to package
> clapack.  I intended to package phast[1] and despite I was close to
> finalising it I never pushed it to a final upload.  I had a discussion
> with upstream (in To:) about clapack and he insisted that this
> implementation is needed for phast.  I admit I have no idea why this
> would be really needed but I'd be happy if Ritika would answer the
> arguments below and raise an opinion whether clapack is really urgently
> needed or whether the good arguments of Sébastien might be convoncing to
> pick an alternative implementation.  Depending from this discussion I'm
> fine with the removal or will try to push my packaging attempt for phast
> to make the existence of clapack at least a bit sensible.

Thanks Andreas for your reply.

Since clapack and lapack provide exactly the same API and ABI, and actually
exactly the same algorithms (the only difference being the programming language
in which it is implemented), I have no doubt that phast can directly use
lapack.

The only value added of clapack over lapack is the clapack.h header, which
provides the prototypes for the Fortran LAPACK interface.

So in the worst case, phast can be packaged by linking it to lapack, and by
providing (a subset of) clapack.h in a patch. Or maybe we could include
clapack.h in src:lapack (though ATLAS also provides an unrelated clapack.h, so
we must think twice about it).

Andreas: in any case, I am willing to help you linking phast with lapack, so
that we can get rid of clapack.

Best,