Removing clapack?

Hi,

In the process of multi-archifying our BLAS and LAPACK packages (src:lapack,
src:atlas, src:openblas), I realized that there is now a src:clapack package in
the archive, maintained by our team.

There is an immediate issue that needs to be solved (see #874802 and #874803),
but this is not the topic of this email.

Looking at the code of src:clapack, I understand that it is an automated
translation into C of the Fortran codebase of src:lapack.

Said otherwise, it actually provides exactly the same Fortran API as
src:lapack. So this package should not be needed: any program linking against
clapack should be able to link as well with lapack (and would moreover be then
able to benefit from the optimized implementations of ATLAS and OpenBLAS).

Additionally, the name libcblas-dev is very confusing, because this package
does not provide the standardized C API for BLAS, which happens to be called
“CBLAS” (and which is provided by libblas3, libopenblas-base and
libatlas3-base).

Finally, one can question the DFSG-freeness of src:clapack, since the C code
that it contains is not the preferred form of modification (the latter actually
being the codebase of src:lapack).

So, all in all, my understanding is that src:clapack is both useless and
not-totally-DFSG-free, and I would be in favor of its removal, unless I am
missing something.

(BTW, sorry for not having participated in the discussion that happened on this
list before the upload of src:clapack).

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot