Re: Packaging new upstream for sundials

I haven't packaged 2.7 due to lack of time (as it wasn't out when I packaged it), and because the reason I packaged it was so that I could use scikits.odes (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/scikits.odes), which currently uses 2.6.2 (though updating scikits.odes to use 2.7 shouldn't be hard). I was planning on pulling out the sundials matlab interface and making it compatible with octave-forge (which seems to be the way the octave community and debian's octave team package stuff), but I haven't had time. Also, there was a ABI break between 2.5 and 2.6 which upstream ignored, and I was waiting for them to get back to me. I do plan on finishing it, but was going to wait till after the freeze to push it to the archive, as it involved dropping octave-sundials, which now seems like a moot point given upstream's decision to drop the matlab interface from the release.

I've pushed the latest stuff to https://github.com/aragilar/debian-packaging-sundials (which I uploaded originally as someone was trying to install sundials to use scikits.odes), but it is a mess. Also, it looks like upstream has finally made it easy to download tarballs (it used to require providing an email), so the watch file from my work is no longer valid.

On 10 October 2016 at 15:17, Dima Kogan <dkogan@debian.org> wrote:
James Tocknell <aragilar@gmail.com> writes:

> How much of the packaging have you done? I've almost done 2.6-2.6.2, the
> main problem was trying to make octave-sundials multiarch (given the build
> system used upstream is a hacky matlab script). I've got multiarch working
> for the rest of sundials, and have added pkg-config files.

I've done most of it, but that doesn't mean that my work needs to
supercede yours. If you've worked on 2.6.2, then you're not at the
latest upstream release. Did you stick with 2.6.2 to retain
octave-sundials? And are you intending to finish the work and to push
the packages to the archive in the near future?

--
Don't send me files in proprietary formats (.doc(x), .xls, .ppt etc.). It isn't good enough for Tim Berners-Lee, and it isn't good enough for me either. For more information visit http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.

 - Henrik Tikkanen

If you're not messing with your sanity, you're not having fun.
 - James Tocknell

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.