Re: Debhelper for R packages

On 09/09/16 08:28, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 05:12:28PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>> |
>> | Yeah, I'd love to see this happen too; I actually started looking at
>> | supporting it, so you could just do:
>> |
>> | %:
>> |     dh --with r $@
>> |
>> | and get on with writing the rest of the bits.
>>
>> Exactly!
>
> Yes, that's the usage (it was somehow missing in Grodons mail to the list).

The invocation should be

%:
    dh $@ --buildsystem R

(This should be in the package README, but yes, I probably should have
put it in the email)

I implemented a debhelper buildsystem rather than an individual sequence
module - my understanding was that let me override (configure, build,
install, test) rather than just adding an R sequence module and letting
other bits of dh detect autoconf/Makefile and break the R build - but
anyone with better dh knowledge can correct me here.

>> | I'm also down to help out. It would be great if this would eventually
>> | make its way into r-base-dev (or similar) so that newer packages can
>> | just use it.
>>
>> Ah yes, meant to mention that in my mail and forgot.  Happy to include files
>> in r-base-dev so that everybody has them automagically

Inclusion in r-base-dev would be a possibility, but I wonder if it makes
more sense to have a separate package - I imagine real use might require
a number of early updates, and having to do a whole R rebuild in each
case seems a bit heavy. I noticed that dh_python/pybuild was originally
shipped in the python binary but subsequently moved to a separate
package, presumably for this reason.