Re: Debhelper for R packages

On Thu, 08 Sep 2016, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 8 September 2016 at 22:37, Andreas Tille wrote:
> To me github is as good / preferable. Other DDs have no issue developing via
> GH. I'd maybe make alioth another remote or mirror.

Yeah, I'd love to see this happen too; I actually started looking at
supporting it, so you could just do:

%:
    dh --with r $@

and get on with writing the rest of the bits.

> | > However, this is pretty much my first stab at perl so it would
> | > certainly benefit from oversight from someone with perl experience.
> | >
> | > I would be interested to hear from R package maintainers 1) whether it
> | > works and 2) any features not listed above which you would be useful.
> |
> | I think I answered this above.
>
> I am happy to help / advise as well. I am a somewhat active package author on
> CRAN.  Happy to get this right, happy to also talk about re-starting Don's
> effort to get ALL of CRAN into .deb (possibly via secondary repos).  There is
> no reason we can't.

I'm also down to help out. It would be great if this would eventually
make its way into r-base-dev (or similar) so that newer packages can
just use it.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

[A] theory is falsifiable [(and therefore scientific) only] if the
class of its potential falsifiers is not empty.
 -- Sir Karl Popper _The Logic of Scientific Discovery_ §21