Re: Data updates in debian packages

Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> writes:

> Probably the canonical source would be:
>
> > tzdata: /usr/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list

I agree, it would be good for a package to build its custom leap-seconds
data starting from that canonical source.

> however it worries me a bit that leap seconds are not directly mentioned
> there.

I don't understand that statement. Reading that file (from ‘tzdata’
version “2016h-1”), I see extensive discussion of leap seconds in the
large header of the file.

What mention are you expecting but not seeing, and how does the header
block in that file not constitute “direct mention of leap seconds”?

> How sure can one be that they will be installed in-time?

This confuses me too. If the file is installed, you have the
leap-seconds data for the installed version of ‘tzdata’.

So I think I don't understand. What specific concern do you have about
the leap seconds data from the ‘tzdata’ package?

--
 \         “Nature hath given men one tongue but two ears, that we may |
  `\          hear from others twice as much as we speak.” —Epictetus, |