Data updates in debian packages

Hi,

We have the problem (I am not sure whether I posted about this already),
that the "casacore" package needs additional "casacore-data-XXX"
packages, providing the basic data to work with casacore. Some of the
data are almost immutable, others (for example leap seconds) are
changing every year or so, and others change quite rapidly (high
precision ephemides forecasts). They all can be downloaded from some FTP
servers.

My question is now how to provide a good and consistent packaging:
Usually, one would just put the data into a package. This works nicely
for the immutable data, and reasonably for the slowly changing data. The
fast changing data shall be available for all people, but not everyone
needs a daily update. So, for consistency, and to have them available in
CI and build time tests, I would like to also package them directly, but
then to provide an (optional) update service.

How should the update service work? Can it just overwrite the existing
files? How one should handle if an update (with possibly older data) in
installed to not downgrade the data?

Is there any experience with that?

Best regards

Ole