Re: parmetis not in testing

Le mercredi 30 mars 2016 à 22:33 +0200, Sébastien Villemot a écrit :
> Le mercredi 30 mars 2016 à 22:03 +0200, Wolfgang Fütterer a écrit :
> >
> > IMHO there are the following options to continue:
> >
> > 1) Removing suitesparse-metis from unstable
> >
> > I really don't know, weather this is a good idea or a really bad
> > one.
> >
> > 2) Uploading a new version of suitesparse[2] build against metis
> > and
> > replacing
> > suitesparse-metis.
> >
> > This would affect primarily two libraries in suitesparse
> > (libcholmod
> > and
> > libspqr). And could cause suitesparse move to contrib. (IMHO not
> > preferable)
> >
> > 3) copying the current source of suitesparse to suitesparse-metis
> > and
> > preparing a new version of suitesparse-metis with metis enabled.
> >
> > The latter corresponds to the current state.
> >
> > Any ideas anyone? Which of these options is preferable, if any?
> For me, 2) is clearly not an option, because I want suitesparse to
> stay
> in main.
>
> So either 1) and 3). I'm personally indifferent between the two,
> because I'm not interested in non-free software.

I realize that I'm a little bit confused:

suitesparse version 4.5.1 (not yet uploaded to Debian) has the ability
to link with METIS 5 (either using the embedded modified copy or using
the unmodified metis package). And metis is free software (licensed
under Apache License 2.0). So it seems that I could upload suitesparse
4.5.1 linked against metis, without license problems.

On the other side, the suitesparse-metis package currently in Debian is
linked against Parmetis, which is indeed non-free software. But it
seems that Parmetis is not really needed, only metis.

Can someone more aware of the situation clarify this?

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer