Re: openmpi + c++11

On 29/10/15 19:10, Daniel Leidert wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 28.10.2015, 16:42 +0000 schrieb Nico Schlömer:

the OpenMPI in Debian is somewhat outdated; the current stable
version is 1.10.1 [1], Debian ships 1.6.5 [2]. A bug has been filed
for this a while ago [3].
[..]
[1] http://www.open-mpi.de/software/ompi/v1.10/
[2] https://packages.debian.org/sid/net/openmpi-bin
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=796982

Hi. I'm interested in helping to update the package (and I can sponsor
uploads). What would be necessary to make the update from the 1.6
series to the 1.10 series? Any important known show stoppers?

Regards, Daniel

It is mostly the patches. Whoever is motivated would have to check whether they reverse-apply (and therefore can be dropped), apply partially or fail (which for both would require some work).

Best way to start would be to clone the upstream repository [1], checkout a new debian/experimental branch from v1.10, apply the current packaging from the Debian repository [2] and start hacking.

In the long term, it might be worth asking politely for transitioning the maintenance of OpenMPI over to the Debian Science Team. Just a suggestion.

[1] https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi-release
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-openmpi/openmpi/trunk/

Best regards,
Ghis