Re: Looking for sponsor for ROS packages (robotic framework)

+++ Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda [2015-10-09 19:36 +0200]:
> El Divendres, 9 d'octubre de 2015, a les 15:59:48, Wookey va escriure:
> > > we (me and Leopold Palomo) have done a lot of work to bring ROS (Robot
> > > Operating System; free robot middleware used in many universities and
> > > companies world wide, see [1]) to Debian. ROS contains a ton of software
> > > and there exists Ubuntu packages provided by upstream installing
> > > everything into /opt. We started creating new policy compliant packages
> > > here [2].
> > >
> > >  * We are looking for DDs to sponsor the initial uploads. *
> >
> > Your timing is excellent. I (and Riku) are currently charged with
> > getting ROS working in Debian as part of our Linaro work.
>
> Awesome :)
>
> > So some collaboration sound like a top plan to me :-)
>
> Great!!!
>
> > Our focus is on getting everything available on arm64 as well as
> > amd64, but mostly that's the same work of uploading missing packages.
>
> Jochen asked to the launchpad team to have QEMU ARM buildds. We will rebuild
> the packages. I would love to have launchpad infrastructure in debian ....
>
> > Riku just fixed up openni2 to build on arm64, and I'm getting
> > collada-dom into good enough shape to upload.
>
> I packaged collada-dom:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/collada-dom.git

OK, after I started riku found http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu/pool/main/c/

But you git repo looks like much better packaging I could have saved
some time if I'd found it first. Oh well.  I see you've only
packaged/build dom, not the fx, tests, rt and viewer in the upstream
tarball. None of those other bits built for me, but maybe that's not
really a problem, and only dom is actually important?
You've also got rid of all the 3rd-party cruft. Looks good.

Lots of the files do still have the mixed line-ends which really ought
to be fixed (upstream). I have a patch but have not worked out where to send it yet.

> please use that. If you don't like it, we can change it. But we need one.

It looks sound on first glance.

> > There seem to be a pile of other toolkit/buildsystem type packages
> > (like python-kitchen) which are available in an ubuntu PPA (and thus
> > packaged), but not in debian, so need to be reviewed/uploaded too,
> > although I've not got my head round that part yet.
>
> python-kitchen is in debian ...

So it is - I have a terrible memory - serves me right for not
checking. I meant things like python-rosdep
python-rosinstall-generator python-wstool which
http://wiki.ros.org/hydro/Installation/Debian told me that I needed. I
see that they are not in your git repo either. Are they also needed or are
those instructions old/not entirely relevant?

> > What is your preferred communication channel? this list or is there an
> > IRC channel?
>
> I don't know Jochen, mine is a table with some drink and maybe some nice meal.
> :-)

heh. That may not be totally convenient.

> I think that Jochen have created a debian-robotics channel, so it could be a
> good. Mail is also good.

So there is. Detail co-ordination can happen there.

(I'm not on debian-science, so keep cc:ing me if this thread continues)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/