Re: does r-cran-afex violate the GPL?

On 3/10/2015 10:41 pm, Santiago Vila wrote:
> I searched for "GPL and interpreted languages" and found this:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL
>
> The license of the interpreter itself may be anything and it's not
> important.
>
> But the last two paragraphs are of interest here. It says that a
> program using several modules (perl, java) is dynamically linked to
> them and it is a derived work of all of them.

ah, good find!

> So maybe you are right, but I'd love someone to clarify the difference
> between this and the kernel case.

the kernel case is no different, however there is an explicit exception
in the license for "system libraries".

"If the GPL-incompatible libraries you want to use meet the criteria for
a system library, then you don't have to do anything special to use
them; the requirement to distribute source code for the whole program
does not include those libraries, even if you distribute a linked
executable containing them."

cheers

jonathon

--