Re: packaging Q: package tests have dependencies

Hi Jonathon,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:50:18AM +0200, Jonathon Love wrote:

> >> i'm working on packaging the BayesFactor R package, but the first line
> >> in it calls
> >>
> >> library(testthat)
> >>
> >> this isn't needed by the package, and so isn't listed as a dependency.
> >> do i need to add this as a dependency, just for the tests?

You need to specify this dependency in the Depends field of
   debian/tests/control .

> > I would say yes, as you're supposed to run the tests as part of the
> > build process.
> >
> > Snark on #debian-science
> >

> thanks. so i would only put it in build dependencies (source
> dependencies), and not the dependency for the binary?

Unfortunately testing of R packages is not supported by the current
r-base-dev package and I filed bug #752609 about this.  See the bug
log for more information.

IMHO it would be really time to rewrite the R packaging system as
debhelper module and implement testing (and no, I do not volunteer for
this, sorry).