ITP: arb -- C library for arbitrary-precision floating-point ball arithmetic

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Julien Puydt <julien.puydt@laposte.net>

* Package name    : arb
  Version         : 2.7.0
  Upstream Author : Fredrik Johansson
* URL             : https://github.com/fredrik-johansson/arb
* License         : GPL-2+
  Programming Lang: C
  Description     : C library for arbitrary-precision floating-point ball arithmetic

Arb is a C library for high-performance arbitrary-precision floating-point ball
(mid-rad interval) arithmetic. It supports complex numbers, polynomials,
matrices, and evaluation of special functions, all with rigorous error
bounding.

I would like to package it in Debian since it's an optional package of the sagemath
suite, and I have been asked about it as the flint packager.

The main problem I foresee is that debian already has a src:arb package which ships
a libarb/libarb-dev pair... I noticed two things:
1. there is little filename collision (except in /usr/share/doc for changelog.Debian.gz
and copyright, of course) ;
2. the existing package is non-free.

What can I do to cope with this name issue?

Thanks,

Snark on #debian-science