Re: Proper package relationships when a project depends on CBLAS

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 05:49:50PM +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> >what is wrong with a builddep on libopenblas-dev|someotherblas-dev?
> >
> >do you want to discard the second option in case the first is available
> >(don't know how to do that)?
>
> If I use say libopenblas-dev | libatlas-dev, then the generated
> binary package will have a Depends field with either
> libopenblas.so.X or libatlas.so.X.

i assume this dependency is generated by dh_shlibdeps and your control
file lists ${shlibs:Depends} in the list of binary package dependencies.
for sure you can exchange that for whatever you please, e.g.
libopenblas.so.X | libatlas.so.X

> Instead, I should probably have
> libblas.so.X which can be updated via update-alternatives to any of
> these implementations.

if there is a virtual package that depends on one of the above, then
sure, depend on that one.

> Or should I actually care?

this is up to you. (but yes, sounds fun).

cheers
felix